Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Summer Barbecue Celebration at the Gracie Mansion

Four years of memorizing lines, practicing scenes, and after school rehearsals, and I've earned my Chancellor's Arts Endorsed Diploma! I began my performances in the Talent Unlimited Black Box with playing the honorable character of Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest to playing my senior character of Betty in The Foreigner, my FAVORITE role. I was invited to speak to 7th graders about high school, and about the performing arts. They asked me if going to an art school was fun, and while I answered an unhesitating YES (!) I also took the time to fully explain to them that they will need to put in a lot of time and hard work. The stage only becomes glamorous after the rehearsal process, and while it feels AMAZING to receive flowers and compliments, everyone sees the final product, not the progress it took. Acting is extremely difficult. Coming in as a 9th grader, I thought it was just about memorizing lines, and delivering them authentically. Little did I know...there were intentions, motivations, stakes, subtext, inflection, obstacles, beats, actions, script analysis, and character development, and MUCH more. Acting is truly an outer body experience for me, because its crazy how you can be on stage and forget about all your problems, doubts, and insecurities, and become a person other than yourself. Its a beautiful trance that has served as expression for me. I've found a passion close to my heart, and I will continue studying it in college.
Thank you mom for ALL your support <3





No comments:

Post a Comment